Wye Plantation Greenhouse, Talbot County, Maryland
Serving as part of a team to prepare an historic structure report for the 18th-century greenhouse, one of the earliest and best preserved structures of its kind in America.
Scott Plantation Slave Quarter, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Consulting with staff of the Maryland Department of Highway Administration to interpret the archaeological remains of a 34x34 ft. stone foundation located at the Scott family plantation, known as Belvoir, a National Historic Landmark. The 18th-century structure was laid out with three rooms, one in the front and two in the rear, each of which had fireplaces served by a central chimney stack. The size and placement of the front room, and the oversized dimensions of the fireplace, suggest that it functioned as a kitchen in support of the planter's household, located a few hundred yards distant. The rear rooms, with angled corner fireplaces, were domestic spaces that likely accommodated the enslaved kitchen workers.
Rose Hill, Winchester, Virginia
Retained by the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley to serve as the preservation consultant for the rehabilitation of the Rose Hill house and associated outbuildings. The house was the ancestral home of the locally prominent Glass family, with the earliest portion of the structure consisting of the 1 1/2-story, three-room room log house that was erected ca. 1797. A 2 1/2-story Federal style brick addition was constructed ca. 1829, with another matching addition erected ca. 1850. The brick additions combined to create a central-passage plan with two rooms on each floor; the log house connects to the rear of the brick portion to form a T. The house is individually listed on the NRHP. Current plans call for rehabilitating the structure to serve as a residence for museum staff; the work is being conducted according to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.
Since 2010 have served as an advisor to the Clarke County planning department in the preservation of two historic buildings -- the land office (1761) and the smokehouse (1798) -- located at the National Historic Landmark Greenway Court property. Partnered in developing the specifications for an initial phase of conservation measures aimed at preserving the nationally significant structures. Currently serving as construction manager for a variety of preservation interventions supported by a Hurricane Sandy Relief Assistance Grant.
Archaeology, Architecture, Historic Preservation: Research and Consulting Services
Dennis J Pogue LLC
Sully Historic Site, Fairfax County, Virginia
Serving as a member of a team contracted by the Fairfax County Park Authority to prepare a historic structure report for Sully, constructed by Richard Bland Lee from 1794-1800. The structure underwent a major restoration in 1974-75 and has been operated by the Park Authority as a historic house museum ever since.