De La Brooke Tobacco Barn, St. Mary's County, Maryland 

Documented and prepared a report on the condition of the De la Brooke Tobacco Barn, one of the earliest dated (1797) structures of its type in Maryland and Virginia.  The frame structure, @40 by 40 ft. in dimension, is remarkably well preserved, retaining virtually all elements of the original tobacco drying apparatus, and featuring unusual door hardware and rare examples of early timber frame construction techniques.  Submitted documentation to amend the Maryland Inventory of Historic Places entry and in support of the pending nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.    

Fairfax-Moore-Montague House, Alexandria, Virginia


Retained by the property owners to study and document the portion of the house which traditionally has served as the kitchen.  The house is a Federal style, 3-story brick townhouse located in Old Town Alexandria, and which is individually listed on the NRHP.  The main portion of the house likely was constructed in the 1780s, but the kitchen appears to have been erected somewhat earlier as a free-standing building.  By 1796 the kitchen had been joined to the main house as part of a rear service wing, according to the documentation associated with an insurance policy dating to that year.  The work was carried out as part of the planning to renovate and expand the kitchen in accordance with the restrictions imposed by preservation easement and the property's inclusion in the Old Town Historic District.















Fort Loudoun, Winchester, Virginia


Contracted by the French and Indian War Foundation to prepare a nomination for the Fort Loudoun archaeological site to be submitted for listing on the Virginia Historic Landmarks Register and on the National Register of Historic Places.  Fort Loudoun was designed and built under the direction of Colonel George Washington, and it served for several years as a command center and primary supply depot for Virginia troops during the French and Indian War.  The property meets the criterion for significance on the state level, as it has been demonstrated to retain a high level of archaeological integrity and to yield significant archaeological data.  The site was entered in the National Register in 2014.

Archaeology, Architecture, Historic Preservation: Research and Consulting Services

Dennis J Pogue LLC

​Fort Bowman, Shenandoah County, Virginia


​Served as a member of the team of consultants contracted by Belle Grove, Inc.​ to prepare an historic structure report for the main house and four associated structures.  My role was to investigate and document the buildings' historic fabric, ascertain the original conditions, develop a narrative of subsequent changes, and prepare a preliminary assessment of preservation issues.  This work was carried out in conjunction with dendrochronological testing of the main house, which determined that it was erected ca. 1771, and investigations of the interior painted surfaces. Although a number of significant changes were made to the house when it was renovated by the last private owner in the 1970s, Fort Bowman remains remarkably well preserved.  It is an outstanding example of hybridized Germanic and English building traditions, following a pattern that has been identified at a number of contemporary buildings in Pennsylvania and western Virginia.  The physical investigations portion of the study has been completed and the report was submitted in June 2013.


Plan of Fort Loudoun by George Washington, drawn in 1756 (north at the left).  Much of the northwest bastion and  a portion of the north barracks has been demonstrated to survive on the property owned by the French and Indian War Foundation.

Decatur House, Washington, DC  


Consulted with staff of the White House Historical Association to investigate, document, and interpret physical evidence related to the function of a service room within Decatur House, the National Historic Landmark home of Stephen Decatur.  The house was designed by the eminent architect, Benjamin Henry Latrobe, and placing a kitchen in one of the main ground floor rooms, with a window looking onto Lafayette Square, would have been highly unusual.  The space was outfitted as a kitchen in 1819, but was adapted for other service functions after Decatur's death in 1820, and then served as a prominent living space for succeeding owners.  The arrangement of the kitchen and associated service spaces within the body of the dwelling was an expression of Latrobe's idea of the properly arranged "rational" house.  Decatur house is one of only three surviving residences designed by Latrobe, and it is operated by the WHHA as the National Center for White House History.


Stratford Hall East Garden, Westmoreland County, Virginia


Contracted with the Robert E. Lee Memorial Association to conduct excavations in the east garden, which was restored on the basis of archaeological investigations that were carried out in 1930-1932.  The goal of the current project was to assess the potential for surviving archaeological evidence to inform a reinterpretation of the existing Colonial Revival garden design.  Field work was conducted over two two-week periods, in April and September 2013.  Portions of five features first found in the 1930s were re-exposed, documented, and tested.  The features likely relate to deep planting beds of the type found at other 18th-century gardens that have been investigated elsewhere in Virginia. [See Reportsfor a downloadable copy of the final excavation report.] 





Clermont, Clarke County, Virginia


Served the Clermont Foundation for more than three years as a consultant and member of the team charged with preparing an historic structure report for the Clermont house and several associated outbuildings.  The HSR was completed and accepted by the foundation board in spring 2013. Also worked to develop specifications to replace the wooden roof on the house and one outbuilding, which was accomplished in 2011.  The Clermont house is an elaborately evolved but remarkably well preserved​ structure, with the earliest portion erected in 1756, and with numerous subsequent additions made over the succeeding two centuries.  Dendrochronological testing not only determined the original date of construction, but also established the dates for seven subsequent building episodes up to 1849, as well as dated the associated smokehouse (1803), slave quarters (1823), cornhouse (1849), and springhouse (1857).  [See Reports for a downloadable copy of the architectural description chapter of the historic structure report.]